Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Survival Kit

Hussain was like any other child in my class. Naughty, talkative and full of zooming energy. He enjoyed coming to school and being with his friends. He had a sweet innocent face which was partly covered by his black framed glasses.

His smile was infectious and so it was no surprise when I found him surrounded by all the children feeling a little down. “What’s the matter everyone?” I asked as I was worried to see the usually cheerful lot wearing such gloomy masks. “Hussain is leaving us. He is going to Canada with his family.” The girls being extremely emotional were all teary and had probably already started missing him. The boys sat quietly reflecting on the loss of a great ‘Tag’ player.

Hussain appeared a little confused with all the reactions. He was happy to set on this new adventure but the depression that filled the classroom probably made him realize that ‘good bye’ was not going to be easy.
Quite honestly, the news was quite sudden and in the middle of the final term. I checked with the front office and they confirmed that his father had requested for a transfer certificate. I called up the father who informed me that they had applied for immigration a while back and it was finally time to move. He requested me to handover all of Hussain’s books by the end of the week, as he would not be attending school after that.

Another day went by and the classroom was still quiet. Suddenly it struck me that this was a good opportunity to teach them about “Happy Good-Byes”. I came home that day and went out to buy a few gifts. I bought a sketch book and some markers, a reading book, a tour guide book on Canada, a Contact book, a chart paper and a little bag pack. I also purchased a few delicious chocolates and sweets.
I loaded my car with an empty small water carton, some coloured paper and glue. My plan was working well. I just hoped the outcome would be as I had perceived it in my mind.

I reached school and carried everything to my Year 3. The children looked at the shopping bags wondering what was in them. The carton was another tool of suspense. “Good Morning children”, I greeted them with a smile. “Today, we are going to have a special Literacy Hour. In this class, we are going to use all our language skills to bid farewell in the nicest, warmest and happiest possible manner to Hussain!” The cheer was louder than I expected. “How are we going to do that teacher?” The tsunami of questions fell on me. “ok, to start with I am going to ask all of you to come together on the circle-time mat.” The level of excitement was high and Hussain was on another level altogether!

I sat with them placing next to me, the exciting mysteries in bags that would unravel one by one. I first unwrapped the chart paper and with a marker drew the outline of a little boy to cover the chart. I labelled him 'Hussain'. The eyes were glued and the buzzing appreciation was audible. I took out some more coloured pens and handed them to children in groups. “Alright, now one by one, we are going to fill up Hussain with all our feelings and thoughts about him. Messages from the heart. You can also describe him as a friend and classmate. Just pour your heart out and do remember to write your names as he will pin up this poster in his room in Canada!” The plan seemed to be working as there was so much laughter and busy hands. Hussain sat with me as we reviewed some of the printed messages that described him as friendly, cute, helpful and happy. There were hands being raised to ask spellings and some artistic ones customized their space well.

After we completed the poster, I pulled out the Contacts book. “Now, this is for you Hussain. Write your name on it and carry it to all your friends to fill in whatever contact they are comfortable to share with you. If anyone needs to take permission from their parents, then this information can be filled tomorrow as well.” The book was carried around and few contacts were shared while some children deferred it to the next day.

“Look there is more!” a girl shouted as she saw me open up Canada’s map. “Come on everyone, let’s see where our friend is going?” The quest on the map began. “There it is! Teacher, it’s in North America! Oh! It is huge!” “Look Hussain, there are so many states!” Hussain was fascinated by the magical revelations. “Alright children, now I’m going to hand you a long narrow strip of paper and I would like you to find some popular tourist attractions in this book and write them on this paper. Pass on the paper for everyone to enter some information on Canada. There are fun facts and many thrilling discoveries about each state.”

I took a break while they all worked in a synchronized manner completely respecting the permission to a fun hour. All through this process, there was a strong bond and each one was in the positive mode to appreciate each other’s  talents and creativity. They were happy and enjoying the moment with their friend who was to leave them in a day.

I handed the carton to an enthusiastic lot and asked them to cover it with coloured paper. They did a fine job and the information on the long strip of paper that had been filled in was cut into pieces and pasted onto the carton. I presented the bag pack to Hussain and he was over joyed to find inside it, a reading book, sketch book with colours and lots of snacks to enjoy on the flight. He quickly placed his contact book and Tour guide inside and the infectious smile appeared once again.

His chart paper was placed in the little carton along with his bag pack. We labelled it as “Hussain’s Survival Kit”. I had everyone share their final words on the activities of the day. And then, paid a special tribute to this lovable boy with sparkling eyes in the form of a poem. I had printed and laminated the poem, hoping it would embrace the moments we had shared in a short time together. This is what it said...

“Its not Good-Bye”
By Ms. Shama

Hussain, you’re leaving us,                         
And there’s so much to say,
But one thing’s for sure,                            
Our paths will meet one day!

You’ve been with me a while,
And every day was rushed,
We had to read and write,
And grow in all that buzz!

I tried to make a change,
In all the ways I could,
You helped me all along,
As a caring student would!

And when you go away,
And start a brand new life,
Think what you have learnt,
And keep your fears aside!

Math or History or Science,
They’re quite important we know,
But when you’re off to foreign land,
The true Hussain should show!

The bond a teacher makes with each,
Is nurtured every day,
You may not sense my hopes for you,
They’ll meet you on your way!

I pray to god, I reached to you,
In all your times of need,
And want to tell you dear Hussain,
Our paths will always meet!

(I pray to Allah that my teachings stay with you and help you make wise and truthful decisions! Amin)
 29th March 2007



5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I don't know how you controlled your class but they seemed to be a very disciplined lot....What age were they? Shama i can a sure you that I'm getting a lot of ideas from your blogs and how i can apply them in my class....but as I said that my bunch is very young, learning each day to be more disciplined,these ideas are very helpful and inspirational.Thankyou for writing so thoughtfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are simply amazing....and I am sure that Hussien would surely remember you forever and also each and every friend of his who were there in his class at that time, you gave them all wonderful memories Shamma.
    You just reminded me of my first pre kg class, by the end of the year I was completely lost as what to give them as a momento to remember me as their very first teacher, and I did exactly the same, I wrote them a poem and wrote it by hand for each one of my 22 students, before writing the poem I made my handprints with gold paint on every paper, then I wrote the poem on it, and then I framed it for them as a keepsake, here is what I wrote:

    When you grow up to your future bright,
    In a thousand days and nights,
    you may become a doctor, or a pilot on his flight,
    What ever it is you choose to do I am sure you will enlight,
    Remember Ms. Samreen that day as a shining star at night,
    Look at this card and see my dear,
    Remember if you might,
    This was the hand that held your hand and taught you how to write!

    This was a prayer for each one of them, and the parents loved it so much...I am planning to do the same for my present batch as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks leena...in this case these kids were about 8 yrs...i've taught grades 2,3, 4 and 5. As a curriculum planner, i did work with grade 1 too...discipline was my strong point leena...its important to set expectations at the start and follow through without ever compromising on it...but, if you have a certain area that you need help with, let me know and i'll incorporate that in my blog to help u out maybe...cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. samreen, u are doing a gr8 job honestly...such beautiful words can come only from a naturally talented teacher...its the most creative field in the world and if you are honest to the cause, you can be a huge resource to change lives around you...welldone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Generally we always remember our good teachers who taught us during our school and college days and I am sure Hussain will do the same. Well done.

    ReplyDelete