Sunday, November 27, 2011

Be your own critic...

The classroom was mostly noisy. The teacher was always in a struggle mode to calm them down. The boy gang, though just 7 years of age, was the talk of the Primary School. The gang comprised of three boys. Each one committed to uphold the ‘principles’ and ‘cool image’ of the gang. The teacher was exhausted with the constant surprises and the high tone of the class. There were issues about ‘foul language’, ‘threats’ and ‘undermining the teacher’s authority’.

Here it’s important to point out that the teacher in question was a soft spoken and structured lady. She had all the will to deliver the lesson well, provided, the creativity in planning the lesson was imported. She was not a very expressive woman and that was failing the classroom discipline.
I was asked by the Principal to help out for a few days by sitting in the classroom and making observations. It started from the assembly. The line came through a corridor and entered the classroom running around the tables and chairs. The teacher came in and began to settle her bags and books. The boys were screaming and the girls sat quietly looking at them. The teacher looked at them and said, “ Alright, that’s enough. Sit down please.” They paid no attention and eventually fell to the ground while taking a sharp turn at a fast speed. There was laughter and anger. I noticed the teacher. She was even afraid to touch them. She asked them to sit down again. I stood up and walked to the front of the class. “Sit down NOW!” My voice was loud, angry and demanding. They immediately sat down. “Now, I am going to be sitting in your class to see how you all behave. I would like to write a good report by the end of the day. If the report is bad, your class will get in trouble. Do you all understand?”  “Yes, Ms. Shama.”

The lesson began. The board was used as the resource and while the teacher’s back was to the class, they all had their funny faces episode. By the time she completed the task of drawing the clues to the lesson, the children had already determined the answers and blurted them out, making her plans appear somewhat ridiculous.

Suddenly one of the children got up and went outside the class. The teacher said, “ Where are you going?” The child gave no answer, got his bag and took out some colours to bring to his table. He merrily came and sat on his chair. “Ok, now look at the words in the book,” she continued as if nothing had happened.
The children talked loudly while she distributed the note books to begin the written work. The children stood around her waiting for their names to be called out. And though she felt terrible about the chaos, she appeared helpless.

Work began and she took a round of the class to see if everyone had begun. Then she stood by her table, browsing through their homework books. Soon the first child ran to her table to get the work checked. She sat down and a crowd made a circle round her completely hiding her from the rest of the class. Some children sat with their pencils, struggling to find answers while others found the line to the teacher too long and decided to play for a while.
The bell rang and the gang rose to be the first to rub the board. The teacher was still there and the children were still doing their work. They jumped up and down eliminating all chances for the slow writers to complete their work. The next teacher in line stood outside the classroom dreading to enter this chaotic room.

I walked out of the classroom knowing, the teacher would need some help. I spoke to her later and instead of advising her with verbal instructions, told her that I would be the teacher for her class the following day. She would watch me from morning till home time and make all the observations. I wanted her to do that because when you become your own critic, there is a possibility for change. The students were informed about the special classes the next day and they left a little worried.

The assembly was about to begin. I stood facing the children. The gang stood together pushing classmates and having a laugh. I walked up to them and pulled them out of the line. They looked a little shocked. I spoke to them in a whisper, “Listen boys, the line is too long and I can’t watch everyone standing here. Do you think you could spread out a little and watch them for me. We don’t want any talking in the assembly you know.” They were super quick to nod. I signalled one to stand close to the front, one in the middle and one right at the end. The line was quiet. Someone sneezed and I heard a loud Ssshhhhhh! Surely, the assembly was taken care of.

As they moved out of the assembly, the line was managed by the gang keeping it straight and quiet. I signalled them to stop outside the classroom.
“Before we enter the classroom, I would like you to understand a few things. Firstly, no one will come out of the class to get something from the bag. So, if you need to carry something in, you will do it now. Secondly, once we enter the classroom, I expect each one of you to settle down quietly and get ready for the lesson. Am I clear?” “Yes teacher.” A few students walked to their bags to carry their pencil cases to class. The line entered the classroom and the routine was followed. I had already placed their relevant note books on to their tables. They had started to enjoy the change.

Before I turned around to write the day and date on the board, I asked them to read the first page of the lesson in the text book and underline all the interesting words. They got busy and I quickly completed the usual tasks. They had collected quite a bit of vocabulary. We went over the words, comprehending the meanings through games, sentence making and group competitions. It took us about ten minutes and I had gained their attention and liking.

The next step was to deliver the core lesson. To do that, I needed them to understand the objectives well. What are we going to learn through this lesson? The targets to achieve by the end of the lesson. I took a coloured marker and framed the objectives on the board. “But how are we going to come to these conclusions?” One of the gang members inquired. It was an intelligent question and I began to admire the child’s intellect. The other two members got excited as well and the level of noise increased a little. “I promise it will be fun if you listen to the instructions carefully. I will not repeat them, so this is your only chance.” They began to motion each other to be quiet and not utter a word. I noticed the three boys had quite a lot of authority in their manners. I wondered how their authority could be managed to the benefit of this teacher.

The instructions went smoothly and each group had a task to complete. They worked together but I noticed that the girls in the class were not at all aggressive in their approach to work. The realization came to me that the boys had created such loud and strong impressions of themselves that the girls had gone back into their shells. I made a slight change in the plan. “ I have a better plan! Why don’t we have a competition? Girls versus boys!” The boys shouted with joy but the girls didn’t react much. “Ofcourse, I am a girl too, so I will team up with the girls!” There was protest from the boys but the girls readily accepted the challenge. I saw that the spirit to do the best was on both sides. I walked around the class, giving suggestions and discovering their great talents. On observation, these boys were all high achievers who needed a challenge. They were logical thinkers and that was indicated from the way they approached their tasks.

While the students completed their work, I decided to speak to these boys individually. I started with the first boy. He sat happily on the chair across the table. I smiled at him and asked him if he had enjoyed the activity. “Oh yes! It was so much fun. We were the best!” I said, “You sure did well. You know ‘A’, I saw you yesterday and you were so different then. You were shouting, not listening to the teacher, fighting. I mean, why were you doing all that?” He wasn’t ready for the sudden questions. He sat quietly. “I’m sure you know that it’s completely childish to behave that way right?” He was finding it hard to let go of the oath. “ Teacher, they ask me to do it.” He said softly, feeling a little relieved. “But if you will not do it, they won’t be able to force you right?” “They will throw me out of the gang. We are the strongest.” I laughed at his revelation. “Really! You have a gang! I know what these gangs do. They sort of are like the Police of the class. They take care of all their classmates and clean up the classroom. They make reports on children using bad language and bullying. Stuff like that right?” I was cornering his conscience and he was just ready to give in. “ Infact, it would be so cool if the Year 2’s could have a Police Patrol! You could wear badges and hats! Every week these badges could be transferred so, everyone would get a chance!”
The excitement and news of the Police Patrol spread fast in the class. The notebooks were collected and placed in the allotted area. The gang was dissolved through logical conversation and energies were diverted towards positive programmes. 
I spoke to them about their mature behaviour and how proud they had made me. The books for the next class were on the tables and the children were ready to greet the next teacher. 
My presence remained in the classroom for three days and eventually I called for the teacher who briefed me about her observations…

·        Involve the students in the disciplinary plans.
·        Loud and clear instructions before the beginning of the activity.
·        Set clear expectations.
·        Engage them in more hands on activities. Use the board less.
·        Be systematic and organized in the classroom. Label shelves and place materials to be used before hand.
·        Do not occupy yourself with your own work while the students are in class.
·        Do not ignore the faulty system. Have a counter plan.
·        Discuss the lesson plan with them along with the objectives of the lesson.
     Wrap up the lesson in time to leave the class in order for the next teacher.
·        Balance the spirit of inquiry and learning for both boys and girls.
·        Work through logic and reasoning with the students.
·        Communicate with students individually off and on to maintain a closer relationship.
·        Channelize their energies through positive ideas.
·        Plan challenging tasks for the high achievers. Keep their thoughts occupied.
·        Create a programme to convert their weaknesses into their strengths.

     Sometimes it is good to be your own critic and make your own observations...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment