Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Discipline Tools

 Children are non-political. They view their surroundings with a keen eye. They are far more observant than we are. Each year we had to create our class rules so that the discipline would be taken care of and expectations would be defined. 


From the beginning I was of the opinion that these rules should be few but enforced through clear and positive communication. The first day of school was always very important from this perspective. While many teachers indulged in collecting note books and organizing their classrooms, I would leave it all to be managed in my free time. The connection that you can achieve on the very first day has the greatest chance to follow through the whole year. At least that is my experience.


So, as soon as my elementary lot returned from the assembly, I would wait for them at the door to receive them with their first messages written on colourful papers. I would hand one to each and ask them to read it when seated. They always appeared thrilled. It was a welcome note that clearly stated three hi lighted instructions.
  • Raise your hand if you want to say something.
  • Always listen to what the other person is saying.
  • Be silent when the teacher is giving instructions.
This would have an immediate effect on them and the very first hand would go up to ask me, "I've read it teacher, what should I do now?"


This gave me the chance to enforce another listed instruction. I would always speak loudly but slowly. "Children, I am going to tell you what we are going to do next but I will give you these instructions only once. So if you want to understand, keep the silence and lend me your ears." ( I would raise my hand to my ear and teach them this gesture so that the next time they would understand without my constant nagging.) 


Through my years of teaching, I've learnt that when you deliver the oral instructions in parts, it is much more difficult to maintain the discipline and focus.


When children know that you will only instruct them once and they wouldn't know what to do if they wouldn't follow, they psychologically become more attentive. A recap can always be done dividing the instructions amongst groups of children. Each group need not remember all the instructions but at least the one assigned to them. When your classroom functions that way, it is much more connected and the burden of knowing it all is lifted off their tender shoulders.


The language of instructions was always kept simple. Half the discipline is won over by the manner in which a teacher delivers the instructions.


I had made a fancy little "mailbox" out of a cereal box that I attached to my classroom door. If a child needed an extra word to make corrections either in behaviour or work, I would use the mailbox as a communication tool. I would write a letter that would be placed in a sealed envelope. I would inform the child that he/she would receive mail the next day, and they would run to check the mailbox often. It kept matters private and a heart to heart always works wonders. They too wrote back to me to discuss class issues and sometimes it also helped to uncover bullying and foul language issues. Creating an independent bond with each child directly promotes good discipline.


Listening to your children, without interruptions is also setting a good example on an important class rule. "Its important to listen when others speak!"


Its important to divide the major issues from the minor ones. A minor offence does not need a long lecture. Its not advisable to preach on small issues. They can make a teacher come across as cranky and intolerant.


I remember often sitting with the children in the morning circle time and sharing an event that had made me proud or given me a little disappointment on that day or through the week. They would follow my facial expressions really closely. I came across to them as a "real" person.


Teachers are labelled as 'perfect and flawless beings'. They have to maintain that character sketch because that's how a teacher has always been defined. But, does that imply that our children don't have the ability to make out appearances? I'm afraid, children are far more intelligent than we think them to be. When a child would try to cheat me, I felt no shame in relating a story when I was his age and had tried to do the same. It would give me a chance to share the consequences to that wrong act and yet not label the child as a 'cheater' in front of his peers. 


People make mistakes, but they learn from them and move on. The messages must always be very transparent. The teacher was once a child as well and corrections made from her mistakes have made her a better person.


These are but just a few tools that help you manage the class discipline well.
Your students have a keen eye. They look up to you as someone 'real' and 'genuine'. Why exchange that for someone 'fake' and 'unbelievable'?

No comments:

Post a Comment