Saturday, November 12, 2011

Doing and Learning

When I was a teacher, I always found the process of getting across information quite exciting. Children would ask the most amazing questions and often surprised me with their superb comprehension abilities.




The first few years of my teaching career were quite experimental. Thankfully, my mum was a teacher so I was quite knowledgeable about school routines. What came as a challenge was to teach the British Curriculum. I had been educated in the Pakistani Board which was a completely different experience altogether. The challenge was huge as I began to discover slowly.


It was quite evident that I would need a guide through this unknown land and so came in my supervisors. Each one liked my fresh attempts at making the lessons fun but still found my work output dry and usual. They kept on telling me to improve the output but I just could not comprehend their instructions well. It was very frustrating. We all have our share of one big conflict that places us on the right path. I worked day and night to prepare my classroom for the End of Year Exhibition and filled up the class walls and boards with my students’ work. I was proud of my yearly achievement.


As my supervisor came in to inspect my work, I was quite sure that I would receive rave reviews. She was completely disgusted! She looked at me with angry eyes. “What is this Ms. Shama? These are just worksheets pasted on the walls. Where is the learning?” I was dumb-founded. I felt a little agitated myself having been trying so hard for so long. “This is a reflection of their understanding. I really don’t know what you want from me!” She was a lady with a short temper and lost complete control. She walked out of my classroom concluding that I just did not have it in me to be a good teacher.


I was so angry I left early and just didn’t know whether I should continue to work or just give up. I spoke to my dad who convinced me to carry on. He asked me to deal with her patiently and clear my doubts with her constructively. I tried to do so, but wasn’t really enjoying the experience. That’s when I realized that I would need to educate myself a little more to take up this profession seriously.


I enrolled myself with a TEFL class and began studying the various approaches and methods needed to teach a language. To widen my horizon of understanding, I travelled to UK to attend a 3 day workshop on TEFL. To this day, I accept that it was the practical workshops that opened my eyes to a complete new world of teachers. I enjoyed the sessions so much. I was now able to put my finger on what my supervisor had been verbally trying to get through my teacher senses.


I came back the following academic year and won her heart completely. She and I never encountered another difference of opinion.


What I learnt apart from the various teaching methodologies, was that adults are just like children. If we do not plan our lessons age appropriate, children will find it almost impossible to comprehend well. Similarly, if a teacher does not have the exposure to a certain area of education, no amount of verbal discussion will benefit her. She will not be able to comprehend the instructions at all.


Therefore, after a decade of teaching elementary students, I was promoted to the position of a Curriculum Planner. My job was primarily related to managing the School Curriculum in collaboration with the National Curriculum but with a multi-cultural teaching staff, I had a huge responsibility to train and solve problems in running classrooms as well.


Any teacher who walked up to my table for help, I made sure I was with her in class to get through the problem without any doubts or confusion. I knew that my long instructions would waste precious time and she would feel the same pressure that I felt once I was met with strong expectations.


I would plan workshops to improve their knowledge in certain areas. I would conduct classes for them to observe to ease their discomfort of being watched. I would provide them with activities to incorporate in classes to better their class systems. I was a friend, an easily accessible resource. With authority, comes a lot of responsibility.


And to do a good job, never forget the principle of “doing and learning”.

No comments:

Post a Comment