Saturday, November 5, 2011

Deferred Learning

Every year the school term began in September. We would plan our lessons in advance. And I would always mark the 9/11 literacy class with a composition on the event that transformed the way the world functioned. Most children were aware of the news of the two planes crashing through the Twin Towers in America. For some it was a blow at the beginning of the year.


My plan on paper would appear pretty simple but each year, there would be complications. The class would begin with a discussion and a mind map on the board to gradually cover all events. Students with more knowledge would fill in the gaps excitedly showing off their brilliance at keeping up with world events. As a teacher it was important to me to present the facts truthfully and place in front of them both sides of the story.


After having done that, I would notice their reactions. The debate would begin with a clear declaration of the suicidal act to be wrong. A unanimous NO to terrorism and taking innocent lives. Some would wander off in their thoughts imagining the horror of being in the tower then while some would be feeling grateful it was all over.


Surprisingly, there were always a few in the class who would put forth questions that would broaden the horizon of possibilities and debate. One such child was Lee. He framed a composition that simply amazed me. It was honest and blunt but what disturbed me about it was that it came with a rigid conclusion. Lee was one of the few Christian boys amongst a majority of Muslim students. He wrote that the planes were being flown by "Muslims" and they killed the "Christians." He wrote that Muslims hated Christians and they started a war with the Christians. His composition clearly indicated that his mind was made up.


I was alone when I read it. I thought for a while. It was well written with a good command over language. As a composition in an exam, it would have scored a high mark. So I signed it with a good remark to ensure he would always carry forward with the same motivation and honesty. But I was still disturbed by his conception of the two beliefs.


After pondering over it for a while, I decided to further my remark in his note book. The reason I didn't opt to speak to him instead was because I did not want him to misinterpret my thoughts and an opportunity to make reason would be lost. I felt if he would discuss this at home with his parents, there would be a clear note in his book to clarify my stance on the need for this intrusion.


And so I wrote, " Lee, you have really impressed me with your style of writing. You have a mature mind and in all these years, you're probably the only boy who has spoken his mind. And just because you have the ability to analyze, I would like you to understand that no religion in this world teaches you to kill or take innocent lives. Whether its Islam or Christianity. However, if people stop "listening" to each other, a lot of assumptions and wrong opinions maybe created about each other. Therefore, if we want to see peace for all, we have to lend an ear to be able to understand. I hope that we can share views like this often as it will help us understand each other better as well. (if you know what i mean! :)


The following morning, he walked up to me to show me that his parents had signed the note. When I asked him if he had read the note himself, he said yes. He appeared quiet, so I moved on. The year went by quietly but with a lot of mutual respect.


When this interaction made news around school, I had many teachers asking me as to why did I place myself in a situation where the parent could have reacted pretty wildly. Moreover, "You think a 9 year old can really grasp and understand what you meant?"


And I thought to myself. Do children need to hear only what 'we' believe they would be able to comprehend? Should a mindset be left alone knowing it might trigger hate and discrimination later? Is it not important to fix what appears to be wrong? And so, while all lessons will need to be transferred, all learning will not necessarily happen then. You never know what impression that note may have left on him. How it might spring up in his conscience tomorrow to guide him to do the right thing. Some lessons are learnt much later.

No comments:

Post a Comment