Friday, December 16, 2011

The true definition

I often reflect on a phrase my parents always believed to be true, "educated enough to get through life." It was annoying to hear and appeared as some sort of dead end to me. Being a rebel, I found the idea not only offending but unfair. And although I was considered a good student, I believe the resonance of that notion never allowed me to become too serious about what I learnt at school, college or university. 


And as fate would have it, I grew up to become a teacher. I entered the profession with a non-serious attitude and the joy of earning my first salary. Little did I realize that this casual infatuation, as I looked at it then, would become a life long journey.


My first batch of students were 8 year olds. They appeared small and easy to handle. And every single day there was something new to learn and discover about them. I remained a figure of authority to them as I had always been with children, but could not help enjoying the sunshine that they seemed to spread so effortlessly.


In the years that followed, I found out that not any singular plan ever repeated itself. It was always a new year with new faces and new plans. Strangely, the books remained the same and so did the curriculum.


I used to wonder, "Can this book alone meet the needs and intellect of each child in this class?" Each time the answer came in a negative.
So, What is education really? Is it information in text books, revision done in note books or simply an examination of your nerves?


As much as I found it hard to define, education is more than a classroom experience. It is about being in a conducive environment with individuals coming from different mindsets. It is a forward motion that doesn't necessarily have the same pace for all. It is understanding that there will be strengths and weaknesses to meet the eye. The belief that it is the strength that will help establish the right course in life. It is the ability to see through shut windows to instill rays of hope and light. It is Equal Opportunity. The right of each child to excel at his/her strengths.
It broadens our horizons and provides us with the tools to accept diversity in people and ideas, in perceptions and priorities, thus, enlightening us with the greatest tool of all, reason.


Therefore, as much as the rules of literacy, numeracy and scientific facts carry us through our student lives, we are really learning and being educated with "life skills".
And that takes me back to my parent's ever popular phrase, "educated enough to get through life!" Today, the relevance of this phrase is much understood by me. Life is the greatest exam and your chances of survival quite rightfully depend upon your true definition of education.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Shama i didn't know you wrote and thought so deeply...i thoroughly enjoyed your blog and look forward for more inspirational blogs.....happy writing and for me happy reading..Love you darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Leena...Education has been my passion since long...awareness is the key to knowing your rights and if i can in a small way, i would like to help children, parents and teachers understand its various dimensions...glad you enjoyed the thought...happy reading!

    ReplyDelete